Monday, July 25, 2011

Traditional Borders ReColor RePeat

Ok, so I'm nostalgic about the "old" style of traditional scrapbooking.  I mean back before we had 12X12 papers...back when we had only white pages, back when the creation of an artsy border strip was the talk of the page.  Ok, so I'm also glad we've moved on from there.  But every now and again I like to go back and do something ultra traditional.  The cool thing is that now, I can even do the ultra traditional  - but I can do it DIGITAL.

Some of my favorite borders were a one per month series created by Cindy Carlson.  I got a new border in the series every month for a year.  I made every one of them and taught them at all my workshops.  Last week, I used my very last border from my selection of Cindy Carlson pre-mades I had put together years ago.  In my nostalgia, I decided to try to re-create it digitally.

And SUCCESS... not only did I create one but I realized that once it was created, I could SAVE the border as content (embellishment) and use it over and over again.  I also realized I could change the entire color scheme of the border thus having many different borders to use.


Here is a page full of my TRADIGI borders.  I have a bunch more I want to create and I'll probably share those with you in the future.  Keep reading for some tips about how to group and re-color your borders.

To create these borders in Storybook Creator PLUS software, create a border strip.  Add squares.  Color the squares and the strip.  Cut a heart from each of the squares.  Use the cutout heart and add it to a different square.  Add a shadow or a 3D edge to make the hearts show up better.

To save a border as content, group it together and save it.  I group rather than flatten in this situation because I will want to un-group and re-color the borders in the future so I don't want them flattened into one piece.  To re-color the borders, you can SHIFT-select several elements at the same time and use the Cut and Fill feature.  OR.. you can select the entire border and use the Color Tab and play around with adjusting the hue, intensity and saturation.

Have fun and Happy Scrapping!  I'm sure I'll have more TRADIGI borders coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love - love - love this idea. I just finished duplicating one of the borders, grouped & saved it as an embellishment. However, I don't seem to be able to ungroup it to change the colors for another one - it's grayed out. Any clues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sher, it's so funny that you just posted about missing the traditional borders! I was thinking that the other day and looked back on some albums of mine that had no wallpaper! Just fast formulas borders and other ideas from other consultants! I miss those days and the abundance of the classic watercolor stickers!

    - Christine ChristineBeadel@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...